My Favourite Independence Day Memories From Childhood
Ever since I was young, Independence Day has been one of my favorite days. I eagerly waited for August 15 every year, and the sight of my school uniform and school campus at that time would fill me with anticipation. Back then, as a child, although not truly understanding the sanctity and importance of the day, Aug 15 was always special.
My earliest memory of the day includes waking up on Aug 15, getting dressed, and reporting to the school. Flag decorations and colorful buntings would be in place in almost every room and on almost every wall. Teachers used to be in a festive mood; our school ground would come alive as we would assemble for the ceremonial flag hoisting.
I still remember standing along with my friends and singing along with them the national anthem; I wouldn’t understand many lyrics, but the spirit would transcend.
And though it’s a fleeting moment, every time the anthem would end, I would be awestruck, and it would invoke a feeling of pride in me.
The cultural programs are an integral part of the Independence Day celebrations. There would be dances by my friends; some might sing patriotic songs; a few would take to the stage to recite poems and deliver speeches about our country and its freedom fighters. I participated once in a group dance, and the memory of practicing for several days is still fresh. Although at first, when we began to practice, I felt timid, seeing my friends and teachers encouraging me made me confident, and I gradually started to enjoy performing.
Another cherished memory for me is the sweets. After the school had finished all its official celebrations of the day, teachers used to distribute sweets to all the students. We would take the packets, gorge on the sweets with our friends, and then start chatting until it was time to depart for home.
Sometimes, to add to the festivity, we’d be gifted small paper flags that we’d run around with.
At home, it would be the usual affair of sitting down in front of the Television and binge-watching patriotic movies and songs. It used to be my hobby to ask Mom and Dad questions about the freedom fighters of India and their sacrifices for India's freedom, which would keep my curious mind engaged all day.

Comments
Post a Comment